Pages

23 January 2010

9. Mad Men

I watched Mad Men a few times...the first two or three episodes on DVD. It was a really well written show, the costumes and set design were amazing, and overall I was really impressed. And yet, when it came down to it, I wasn't really excited about getting the next DVD. Perhaps it was the fact that it made me feel like I might get cancer just from watching that much cigarette smoke. Maybe it was because the DVDs were so backed up on Blockbustrix. Or maybe it was because, although I liked it and think it is a phenomenal TV show...I just didn't like it ENOUGH to invest in it.

Sometimes I start watching a TV show, like Glee this season, and it's really great and I'm into it...and then I find the episodes acruing in my TiVo (my REAL Tivo..not some imitation DVR :) and I wonder, why don't I just delete the season pass? I think what is hard is when I know it's a good show, I appreciate all the time and talent behind each episode, and I somehow forget that I am an adult and that time is percious and what am I doing half way through the season when I don't really care.

This reminds me of the fact that this week, for the first time in 2+ years, I successfully lit the pilot light on my living room heater and TODAY I used the heater in my bedroom for the first time. This is due to the following (super interesting) reasons.

1. I generally like the temp a bit colder than most, and am not a fan of the scary monster-like wall heaters in my cold-war era apt
2. When my old roommate tried to use the heater when I first moved in, the smoke alarm went off because of the all the dust burning off and for some reason scared me out of ever trying again.
3. Although the directions are printed in clear English and I am a college graduate, I could NOT light the pilot. Yup, even after the maintenance guy showed me how. Plus I was a little wary of blowing myself up. So proud people

So this week has been a HUGE success for me. I am warm, and I am victorious. It made me think about how silly it was that I sat around cold for so long. If you're cold, turn on the heat. If you can't figure out how, get someone to help you. If you want to be doing one thing, don't do the opposite.

Today I was in the shower...awkward but necessary to my story. I was trying to shave my legs but I literally could. not. see. them. through the steam. There is a window in my shower, but I really didn't want to open it because it is COLD outside (hence the heat story that almost bored you to tears above). Then I realized that being a little bit colder would be better than cutting myself. For some reason this was provoked at LEAST 30 minutes of pondering the fact that sometimes, you have to do something a little unpleasant to avoid something a LOT unpleasant (again, college degree. Thanks mom and dad).

SO these are my musings today. Love me or leave me.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment