So maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think anything world-news-wise happened on 10/12/03 that I'm supposed to know about. I googled, I wikepediad, I tried to remember back 6 years ago. It was a Sunday. A lot happened around the world actually. And I guess that's true for every day. I think there are only a few dates we really remember. It takes something catastrophic, like 9/11 for a date to stick in our memories. We remember our closest friends' and family member's birthdays, we remember Christmas and Halloween. We remember (or try to) wedding anniversaries. But you know what? Every day is someones birthday, or someones anniversary, or the day that something terrible happened that we'll remember for the rest of our lives.
When I was looking up news from 10/12/03, I was shocked at all the horrible things that had happened that WEREN'T remembered. 30 killed here, 4 missing here, explosions, murders, war. It was really depressing.
I'm sure a lot of great things happened, too. Babies were born that are now well on their way to growing up! People got married (and some of them are still married :).
Isn't it weird as a kid when you realize that everyone around you doesn't realize your birthday? It's the best day ever, and they don't even know!
Trying to write this post made me think about the fact that we never know what each day means to the people around us. Today is the birthday of my precious friend's sons. She had twins one year ago today. 19 days later, one of them went home to be with Jesus. Today is a day that will forever be etched in her memory--with sweet memories and painful, unimaginable ones.
Today I am glad that tomorrow is a different day. That each day is only 24 hours and that it is marked with sunrise and sunset. God knew what he was doing when he created little beginnings and endings to the hours, the days, the seasons, the years. New beginnings, new mercies, new growth, new life. Each day is someones greatest day and someones worst.
I don't remember what happened in my life on October 12, 2003...but I'm sure someone does.
No comments:
Post a Comment