Pages

27 February 2009

Definition Inhabition

Yes that's right, I am posting multiple posts in one day. Am not sure about blogging etiquette, too eager?

Confession: I love mottos! Mostly because you can say something completely ridiculous and dramatic, and also kind of mean it at the same time. I have a motto for 2009, my 26th year, and of course, a life motto (which you can see beneath my blog title). Sometimes I even have a motto for my day. The truth is, sometimes it feels nice to put a little definition on life. Isn't that really what goals are? They define who we are and where we are going. We live in a world where people are desperate to find definition, but in a culture that simultaneously makes us feel like idiots for desiring it. We are quick to say "don't define me! I am more than my experiences, my appearance, etc." and I couldn't agree more. But sometimes, definition can be a good thing. My Dad always used to make me send him a list of goals for each semester in college and I always dreaded it. As a free-spirited dreamer I preferred to just live and see what happened. But as I've gotten older, I have begun to greatly appreciate taking a look at where I am, where I want to be, and what it might look like to get from A to B. So in that spirit, I started my motto campaign which is my version of a goal list. Plus, it's a lot more snappy to say "Too forward? Too Late!" than to say "this year I'm going to take more chances, I'm going to put myself out there and not be afraid blah blah blah". So I challenge each of you (3 people that will read this) to make your own motto. Do it as a joke, say whatever comes to mind, and then step back and let it sink in. You may have just said that you want to climb a mountain inside your heart to discover what your dreams are made of (used without permission--sorry Earrings!) which could be nonsense OR you could be saying that you want to be more introspective and take time to see what you really want out of life. Crazy or Credible? I walk a thin line...

2 comments:

  1. "Just walking around looking around" but I stole that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ENTJ lucky to have some "Feelers" in my life

    ReplyDelete